Home Services Commercial Properties Commercial EPCs (all Levels)

Commercial EPCs (all Levels)

Since 2008, we have seen many companies training people, each with no prior experience, to perform these surveys and as a consequence we have been increasingly requested to re-do surveys due to poor quality of work from these companies. This will only escalate as prices are continuously reduced by these very same companies. It is important to realise that these surveys are designed to help you decide what energy efficiency measures are best for your property. We suspect that people will only take note of EPCs once the Government starts to use them as part of a taxation system (e.g. business rates).   Minimum Energy Efficiency standards (MEEs) has already started (legislation approved March 2015) making it illegal to rent properties which fall below an EPC rating of 'E' under the Energy Act (click here to see what can be done). To some extent this had already started years earlier in the form of Feed-in-Tariff (FITs) for PV panels where a minimum ‘D’ rating is required before you can claim the tariff.

When are Commercial EPCs required?

Since the 6th April 2008 the requirement for Commercial properties (non-dwellings) are required to have a Commercial Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is required whenever a property is constructed, sold or rented.  

Note: If the property requires Compliance for Building Control then an SBEM calculation should be carried out.  This could be for extensions, conversions, new buildings or First Fit-Outs (since 6th April 2008).  Do not order a commercial EPC if this has not been done in the first instance.  Please check with the owner and developer if a Building Control Body has requested an SBEM calculation for compliance either with Building Regulations Part L2A or L2B.

In addition EPCs are also required for Feed in Tariffs (FITs) and for any property undergoing a Green Deal assessment. Caution: without an EPC (or "letter of exemption", where this applies) your tariff or incentive for FITs will not be paid.

EPC and Recommendation Report

Situations when an EPC is not required:

  • Buildings used primarily or solely as places of worship.  Note: An EPC is still required for FITs or Green Deal Assessments.
  • Temporary buildings with a planned time use of two years or less. 
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demand.  If there is a likelihood the property (or part) will be "conditioned" for humans then an EPC will be required.  This is the case where the building has any of the following fixed services: heating, mechanical ventilation or air conditioning.  Although the provision of hot water is a fixed building service, it does not “condition the indoor environment” and would not therefore be a trigger for an EPC.  The same argument applies to electric lighting.  Where a building is expected to have heating, mechanical ventilation or air conditioning installed, it will require an EPC.
  • Standalone buildings (completely detached) with a total floor area of less than 50m2
  • Compulsory purchase orders
  • Sale of company shares, where the building remains in the same company ownership
  • The property does not have a roof and walls (e.g. a car park, open at the sides with lighting, would not constitute a building for the purposes of requiring an EPC)

Why Energy Performance Certificates Are Required?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is intended to inform potential buyers or tenants about the energy performance of a building, so they can consider energy efficiency as part of their investment or business decision to buy or occupy that building.

An EPC will provide an energy rating for a building which is based on the performance potential of the building itself (the fabric) and its services (such as heating, ventilation and lighting).  The energy rating given on the certificate reflects the intrinsic energy performance standard of the building relative to a benchmark which can then be used to make comparisons with comparable properties.  It is accompanied by a recommendation report, which provides recommendations on how the energy performance of the building could be enhanced, together with an indication of the payback period.

EPC for large buildings can either be:

  • The whole of a building; or
  • Part of a building, where the part is designed or altered to be used separately.

In terms of the requirement for an EPC, buildings can have multiple tenancies, differing lease agreements, various sub-letting arrangements and different uses (e.g. mixed retail, residential and office accommodation).  In general terms an EPC should reflect the accommodation being sold or let.  In practice this means any EPC provided should reflect the energy performance of the space being offered for sale or let, however it can be for the whole building if the heating/cooling system is centralised.

Optimum Results

We offer an unrivalled EPC services with the reassurance that comes from highly experienced and accredited assessors. We are leaders in the energy assessment and improvement of buildings which is why we were chosen to be one of BREs Auditors to check other Qualified Assessors' work.

What is involved?

The first step in the process is to collate all the necessary information regarding building fabric, lighting, heating/cooling system(s), building control & renewable certificates and any other information in relation to energy efficiency before any site survey.  We will then conduct a site survey to collect further building, system information and to measure the property. The information gathered on site is used to carry out simulation of the building in energy modelling software to determine the building Asset Rating and Grade. This information is then logged on the government register (LandMark). Simultaneously, a compulsory Recommendation Report is compiled, identifying energy improvement measures which can be put in place to reduce energy costs and carbon emissions.

If you would like a Commercial EPC please give us a call on 020 8150 8288 or contact us.